Now that it's a new year, it's time to take a step back and reorganise yourself. My favourite thing to do at the beginning of each year is to go through my wardrobe and figure what i wasted my money on the previous year, and swear to not do it again. Closet purging and de cluttering can be a life long battle. I've just cleaned out my wardrobe 5 times in the past 2 months taking big black garbage bags out with me. I’d go through my clothes, move things around, take a little out and then go shopping to celebrate a new season. Notice the vicious circle pattern I’ve got going here?
When i'm standing in front of the sliding doors i often feel these three emotions and it's hard to battle against them.
- Guilt asked, “Why did you spend so much money on things you don’t wear?”
- Frustration asked, “Are we going to have to do this again in 6 months?”
- Fear asked, “If you let go, will you have enough to wear?”
2. Sort them into piles, be blunt and honest with yourself.
- Love: I love these items. They fit me well and I wear them frequently.
- Maybe: I want to keep this but I don’t know why. (let's be honest, you know you have those items)
- Donate: These items don’t fit my body or my life.
- Trash: These items are in poor condition.
3. Pack the first 2 piles back into your wardrobe all neatly folded and hung.